My puprose for saying shway shway now though, is to explain that while the amount of learning I've done already is insane, I'm still learning and making relationships little by little. There's this slightly older man who sits on the steps of the cafe where I catch my bus every morning. We've really only exchanged "Marahaba." Today, I said, "Sab'il her" (ignore the spelling), which means "Good morning!" He responded back and smiled. I told my rooommates last night that I'd like to get to the point, where I can walk up the hill every morning, and talk to him before I get on the bus. He's there every day. Some days he has friends there, but other days he's alone.
Later today, I got off the bus after school and started walking down our steep hill. I was about halfway down and someone honked behind me. I just moved to the side, thinking that it was someone who wanted to alert me that they were there. Well, someone did, but this someone was my porch friend! He drove by with his family and had a BIG smile on his face as he waved! Now, I know it sounds minor, but it definitely reminded me that building relationships here is "shway shway."
Other random tidbits...
I saw the kindergarten kids following each other around on the planter box thing in the courtyard. It's cute, because that's what they were doing with me yesterday. :)
I was working in the principal's office this morning and ended up helping her write a grant proposal for $17,000. It was kinda crazy to go from a pencil-sharpening blister to writing a grant proposal. Mommy would be proud. No, really. She writes a lot of grant proposals for her job. Anyway, while I was looking out the window, I saw the kindergarteners running around in their purple smocks. I will most certainly post pictures when I get a chance, but I want to take pictures of kids I know, rather than some 'poor Palestinian children.' Regardless, they run around in these adorable purple smocks, that kinda look like dresses. They have long sleeves, little collars, buttons up the back, and patches with the school logo on the chest. I watched them running around...so, so, so cute! Then, out of nowhere, I see this other little child in his purple smock, chasing the other kids....with a Spiderman mask on. This was like, full-on, head totally covered, Spiderman mask. I nearly peed myself. I wish I could have had my camera for that moment. It was a-mazing.
Alright, it's short, but we're off to Jerusalem for the night to play some volleyball with the international crew.
Much love,
Meredith

1 comment:
Spiderman mask, that's hilarious!
Post a Comment